Feedback about care or treatment

Feedback about care or treatment

NHS boards welcome feedback, comments, concerns, compliments and complaints from patients, carers and members of the public regarding the care and treatment they have received.

We do not handle complaints about other parts of the NHS.

If you are not satisfied with the service you have received, or if you would like to share your appreciation for a positive experience, you should get in touch directly with that board. Contact details for each NHS board are listed below.

Territorial NHS boards

Special NHS boards

Independent healthcare services

Healthcare Improvement Scotland regulates registered independent healthcare services in Scotland to make sure they meet standards and regulations. Services include:

  • independent hospitals
  • private psychiatric hospitals
  • independent hospices, and
  • independent clinics.

If you are unhappy about care or treatment by an independent healthcare provider, you can make a complaint to Healthcare Improvement Scotland.

Help with making your complaint

The Citizens Advice Bureau runs a Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS) which can give you impartial help with making a complaint. This is a free service and available at a Citizens Advice Bureau near you.

More information

You can find more information about your rights and responsibilities when providing feedback, raising concerns or making a complaint about NHS care or treatment on the NHS inform website.

Last Updated: 8 August 2023